Ex-cop Charged in George Floyd’s Death Out of Jail on $1 Million Bond


Derek Chauvin

MINNEAPOLIS — The former Minneapolis police officer charged with murder in the death of George Floyd posted bail Wednesday and was released from prison, leading Minnesota’s governor to activate the National Guard to help keep the peace in the event of protests.

According to court documents, Derek Chauvin posted a $1 million bond and was released from the state’s facility in Oak Park Heights, where he had been detained. Hennepin County jail records show he was released shortly before 11:30 a.m.


Floyd, a Black man in handcuffs, died May 25 after Chauvin, who is white, pressed his knee against Floyd’s neck for several minutes as Floyd said he couldn’t breathe. Floyd’s death was captured in widely seen bystander video that set off protests around the world. Chauvin and three other officers were fired. Chauvin is charged with second-degree murder, third-degree murder and manslaughter; Thomas Lane, J. Kueng and Tou Thao are charged with aiding and abetting both second-degree murder and manslaughter.


Upon news of Chauvin’s release, Gov. Tim Walz activated the National Guard to help local law enforcement. Walz said the Guard was mobilizing 100 soldiers and providing equipment and facilities “out of an abundance of caution” in light of public safety concerns. Walz said 100 state troopers and 75 Department of Natural Resources conservation officers were also mobilized to help local authorities.


Floyd family attorneys Ben Crump and Antonio Romanucci released a statement saying Chauvin’s release “is a painful reminder” that the family is far from getting justice.

“The system of due process worked for Chauvin and afforded him his freedom while he awaits trial. In contrast, George Floyd was denied due process, when his life was ended over a $20 bill. There was no charge, no arrest, no hearing, no bail. Just execution,” the attorneys wrote.


Floyd’s aunt, Angela Harrelson, told FOX-9 that she was still trying to process the news.

“It’s something that I’m not happy with. I’m not pleased with it. But I know I have to accept it because this is what the judge allowed to happen. ... I know our family is not happy with this decision,” Harrelson said.


It was not immediately clear where Chauvin got the money to pay his bond. In Minnesota, someone who posts bond is required to pay 10%, in this case $100,000, to the bail bond company. Then, the company and the defendant work out an arrangement for collateral to back all or part of the rest of the bond amount, said Mike Brandt, a criminal defense attorney who is not connected to the case.


A message left with the company that posted the bond, Allegheny Casualty Company, was not immediately returned.


The Minnesota Police and Peace Officers Association, which has a legal defense fund, did not provide any money for bail, a spokeswoman said. Bob Kroll, president of the Minneapolis Police Officers Federation, said his union was not involved.


The website GiveSendGo.com, which says it is a free Christian crowdfunding site, has a Derek Chauvin Bail Fund that says it was created by his family. According to the site, as of midday Wednesday that fund raised $4,198 of its $125,000 goal, with donations from more than 35 people. A posting on the site dated Sept. 12 said it took time to set up a fundraising effort due to the high-profile nature of the case.


Chauvin had the option of posting bail for $1.25 million without conditions or $1 million with conditions. Under the conditions of his release, he must attend all court appearances, cannot have any direct or indirect contact — including social media contact — with any members of Floyd’s family, cannot work in law enforcement or security, and must not possess any firearms or ammunition.


Chauvin’s attorney had no comment Wednesday.

0 views

Contact Information

 

The Baton Rouge Weekly Press,

P.O. Box 74485

Baton Rouge, La. 70874

Phone:  (225) 775-2002

Email:  brweeklypress@yahoo.com

Submit Your

News Releases

 brweeklypress@yahoo.com

Join Our Mailing List

Never miss an update

The Baton Rouge Weekly Press

 

Over 40 years of Excellent Service The Baton Rouge Weekly Press is considered to be the number one minority newspaper in The Greater Baton Rouge area and has served the public for over 40 years. The Weekly Press is distributed every week with a total circulation of 60,000 and has over 450 distribution points which include

State and Local Government buildings, Banks, Churches, Louisiana State University, Southern University, schools, and libraries in the East Baton Rouge Parish.

READ MORE

  • Facebook - Grey Circle
  • Twitter - Grey Circle
  • YouTube - Grey Circle
  • Pinterest - Grey Circle
  • Instagram - Grey Circle

BRWEEKLYPRESS.COM

HOME        ABOUT US        CURRENT ISSUE        NEWS        TV/RADIO        ADVERTISE       SUBSCRIBE       CONTACT

© 2020 by Baton Rouge Weekly Press LLC