Baton Rouge, La. – City-Parish offices will be closed Friday, June 17, i
n observance of the Juneteenth Holiday, by the declaration of Mayor-President Sharon Weston Broome (see attached). “Juneteenth commemorates the moment when African Americans were finally emancipated from their enslavement in the United States. It’s a day when everyone can celebrate and reflect on our history and work towards a more peaceful and prosperous community,” said Mayor Broome.
Baton Rouge Juneteenth events:
· Friday, June 17, 12 p.m.-2 p.m. 11353 Greenwell Springs Rd Suite A5: Father's Day Giveaway hosted by The Resistance
· Friday, June 17 at 7 p.m. at F.G. Clark Activity Center: Join the National Pan-Hellenic Council of Greater Baton Rouge for the 18th Annual Terral Jackson, Sr. Ole’ Skool Variety Greek Show. Meet DJ Marquis, Tony King, Cassie Cole, TJ Jackson, and all of the Divine nine fraternities and sororities at the Southern University F.G. Clark Activity Center for a night showcasing the legacy and impact of Black Greek Letter Organizations in Baton Rouge. Tickets are $20 a person and can be purchased at
www.18thannualoleskoolgreekshow.eventbrite.com. Children ages four and under are free.
· Saturday, June 18th, 10 a.m.-2 p.m. at Galvez Plaza, Downtown: Unity Fest; a family picnic-style event jam-packed with live performances, music, food, and fitness activities. Entertainment includes bands “Universal Language” and “Esco Soul Music” along with DJ Kicks and DJ Marquis. There will also be panel discussions at the River Center Branch Library Downtown on economic empowerment, mental health, and public safety.
· Saturday, June 18th, 9:30 a.m.-12 p.m.: Juneteenth Unity Caravan with Baton Rouge African American Museum, CADAV, and Representative C. Denise Marcelle. The Unity Caravan departs downtown from the Unity Fest and moves through South Baton Rouge to the Gus Young Festival
· Saturday, June 18th, 12 p.m.-4 p.m. at Gus Young Park: Gus Young Festival with Representative C. Denise Marcelle.
· Saturday, June 18th, 10 a.m.-1 p.m. at Forest Community Park 13900 South Harrell's Ferry Road: Fathers on a Mission 5th Annual Celebration of Fatherhood: STEM Fest